Thursday, February 25, 2010

Computer Software used in Education

Drill/tutoring, teacher-directed inquiry and constructivist software can all be used effectively in the classroom for various purposes. Teachers face the challenge of determining which software is appropriate and meaningful to reach their student’s varying goals. I find that drill/tutoring is most effective to master basic skills, such as multiplication facts. Instead of students just sitting and memorizing facts they could possibly use software that makes the learning more exciting for them. I find that teacher-directed inquiry and constructivist style software should be used more often and as a resource to the curriculum. In particular, a constructivist approach allows students to have a variety of interactions with both the teacher and peers while guiding their own learning. All three styles can be beneficial resources in the classroom if used for the right purposes to reach the students learning needs.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I absolutely agree. Figuring out the right balance, and the right tool for the job is a big part of the art of teaching. Good luck with it.

    jd

    ReplyDelete